All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionShortly after Albert Cohen left France for London to escape the Nazis, he received news of his mother's death in Marseilles. Unable to mourn her, he expressed his grief in a series of heartfelt pieces for La France Libre, which he later revised and combined in this moving collection of poignant memoirs. Translated from French by his wife Bella Cohen, it still retains its poignancy as an achingly honest, intimate and moving account and a tribute to all mothers. A heartbreakingly beautiful work by the internationally rewned author.
- Author BiographyAbert Cohen was born on the island of Corfu in 1895. He emigrated to France at the age of five on a passport issued by the Ottoman Empire and was raised in Marseilles. Although he chose to become a Swiss citizen after completing law school in Geneva, he claims that his true homeland was the French language. Cohen's tragicomic novels <i>Solal, Mangeclous, Belle de Seigneur, </i> and <i>Les Valeureux </i>attempt to reconnect man to his lost humanity. Belle du Signeur was awarded the French Academy's Grand Prix du Roman. Bella Cohen was born in London on 1919. During WWII, she worked at the Free French Headquarters and with the Intergovernmental Committee on Refugees. She met Albert Cohen in 1943 and shared a life with him from 1947 until his death in 1981. Her translation of <i>Book of My Mother</i> was a labor of love.
- Author(s)Albert Cohen
- PublisherArchipelago Books
- Date of Publication17/05/2012
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintArchipelago Books
- Weight181 g
- Width140 mm
- Height165 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Translated byBella Cohen
Save on Textbooks
- AU $65.50Trending at AU $75.22
- AU $143.50Trending at AU $152.67
- AU $44.92Trending at AU $56.19
- AU $28.56Trending at AU $29.58
- AU $20.94Trending at AU $25.80
- AU $32.43Trending at AU $39.06
- AU $20.25Trending at AU $22.04
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.