All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDespite its declining popularity among Christians, the belief that we are all innately sinful retains a firm grip on Western consciousness and culture - even in the writings of avowed atheists such as Marx, Freud and Richard Dawkins.According to the doctrine of original sin, humans are born bad and only God's grace can bring salvation. In this captivating book, acclaimed historian James Boyce shows how these ideas have shaped the Western view of human nature right up to the present. The legacy of original sin takes many forms, including the distinctive discontent of Western people - the feelings of guilt and inadequacy associated t with doing wrong, but with being wrong. As well as an invative history of Christianity, Boyce offers new insights into the making of the West. Born Bad traces a fascinating journey from Adam and Eve all the way to Adam Smith and Richard Dawkins in this sweeping story of a controversial idea and its remarkable influence.
- Author BiographyJames Boyce is the multiple award-winning author of Born Bad, 1835 and Van Diemen's Land. He has a PhD from the University of Tasmania, where he is an honorary research associate of the School of Geography and Environmental Studies.
- Author(s)James Boyce
- PublisherSPCK Publishing
- Date of Publication21/04/2016
- SubjectChristian History & Denominations
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSPCK Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight395 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.26
- AU $28.71Trending at AU $30.90
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $33.19
- AU $34.13Trending at AU $37.90
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.