Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.86
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $36.22Trending at AU $37.61
About this product
- DescriptionBoron has made a significant impact in our lives through its quiet use in fertilizers, fungicides, soaps, detergents, and heat-resistant glassware. Boron Science: New Techlogies and Applications addresses the applications of boron in chemistry, industry, medicine, and pharmacology by explaining its role in problems such as catalysis and hydroboration as well as its use in superconductors, materials, magnetic/nmagnetic naparticles, and medical applications including cancer therapy. Illustrating the practical versatility of boron, the 29 chapters are divided into seven major sections: Boron for Living: Medicine Boron for Living: Health and Nutrition Boron for Living: Radioisotope Boron for Living: Boron Neutron Capture Therapy Boron for Electronics: Optoelectronics Boron for Energy: Energy Storage, Space, and Other Applications Boron for Chemistry and Catalysis: Catalysis and Organic Transformations More than just an updated compilation of progress in the applied science of boron, this book is a tribute to the legions of workers who have spent years conducting groundbreaking studies. The book celebrates these scientists and their proteges, who together transformed boron science into the exciting and growing area it is today.
- Author BiographyNarayan S. Hosmane was born in Gokarn, near Goa in Southern India, and is a B.S. and MS graduate of Karnatak University, India. He obtained a Ph.D. degree in Inorganic Chemistry in 1974 from the University of Edinburgh, Scotland, under the supervision of Professor Evelyn Ebsworth. After a brief postdoctoral research training in Professor Frank Glockling's laboratory at the Queen's University of Belfast (1974-75), he joined the Lambeg Research Institute in Northern Ireland, and then moved to USA in 1976 to conduct research in synthetic Boron Chemistry. After a brief postdoctoral work with W. E. Hill & F. A. Johnson at Auburn University and then with Russell Grimes at the University of Virginia, in 1979 he joined the faculty at the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech). In 1982 he joined the faculty at Southern Methodist University, where he became Professor of Chemistry in 1989. In 1998 he moved to Northern Illinois University as a Presidential Research Professor and is currently a Distinguished Research and Board of Trustees Professor. Dr. Hosmane is widely acknowledged to have an international reputation as one of the world leaders in an interesting, important, and very active area of boron chemistry that is related to Cancer Research and as one of the most influential boron chemists practicing today. Hosmane has received numerous international awards that include but are not limited to the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation's Senior U.S. Scientist Research Prize twice (2001 & 2007); the Boron in the USA Award for Distinguished Achievements in Boron Science (1996); the Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru Distinguished Chair of Chemistry at the University of Hyderabad, India (2003); and the Gauss Professorship of the Gottingen Academy of Sciences in Germany (2005). He has published over 270 papers in leading scientific journals.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication03/10/2011
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationBosa Roca
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCRC Press Inc
- Content Note853 black & white illustrations, 16 colour illustrations, 116 black & white tables
- Weight1723 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine46 mm
- Edited byNarayan S. Hosmane
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.