All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.21
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.39
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume is a critical inquiry into the social project and socioecomic realities of emerging Brazil, a country that faces profound changes. A team of ackwledged specialists on Brazil's complex configuration addresses state policies, social dynamics and ecomic constraints and opportunities for emancipation. Chapters adopt long-run perspectives on the development of the Brazilian welfare state, limits and opportunities for emancipation in the labor market, the scope and depth of social policies such as Bolsa Familia and Rio's Peacemaking Police Units (UPP), social movements - in particular, the Movement of the Landless (MST) - cultural policies at the federal level, the role of media in the country's democratization project, and how two important commodities (sugar and oil) shape the identities of blacks and whites in Bahia. This book is essential reading for all those interested in understanding what kind of Brazil has acquired a prominent global position and what hurdles it faces to consolidate its position as a global player.
- Author BiographyJan Nederveen Pieterse is Mellichamp Professor of Global Studies and Sociology at University of California, Santa Barbara. Adalberto Cardoso is Professor of Sociology at IESP-UERJ.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication11/09/2013
- SubjectEconomics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleRoutledge Studies in Emerging Societies
- Series Part/Volume Number3
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note8 black & white illustrations, 7 black & white tables, 3 black & white halftones, 5 black & white line drawings
- Weight453 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byAdalberto Cardoso,Jan Nederveen Pieterse
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.