All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAll I have is a carry-on, a stethoscope, and a basketball in a mesh cinch bag. Before Doctor Dan Murphy's ongoing fight for healthcare in Timor-Leste, he lived ather life worth sharing. In an otherwise untold story, Breakaway gives an intimate account of the beginning of his story: growing up in small-town Iowa where basketball taught him how to keep his balance both on and off the court. It is with this same amount of focus and determination that he would later fight for global healthcare. From Cuba to Mozambique, from India to Vietnam, Dr. Dan served some of the most underprivileged people across the globe. He shares incredible moments when history was made, including teaming up with activist Cesar Chavez during his famous Si, se puede era. Breakaway explores humanity as it is made fragile by poverty, disease, addiction, and desperation. Yet, it reminds us that acts of courage and compassion unite people in search of a cure for injustice and infection. Includes exclusive pictures from Dr. Dan's childhood and activist work with Cesar Chavez. All proceeds from the book will go to the Bairo Pite Clinic in Dili, Timor-Leste.
- Author BiographyDoctor Daniel John Murphy was born in Alton, Iowa in 1944 and received his M.D. from the University of Iowa. He is a recipient of the Distinguished Alumnus Award from the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine as well as the Sergio de Melo Award for his work in Timor-Leste. In 2009, he was presented the Medal of Merit, the country's highest honor, by former President Jose Ramos-Horta. His story was also recently featured on Sports Illustrated.
- Author(s)Dan Murphy
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication15/03/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: Science, Technology & Medical
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight544 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Foreword byLiam Alexander Murphy
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $34.60
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $23.42
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.