All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBreakbeat Pedagogy provides a groundbreaking framework for the inclusion of hip-hop culture in schools. Looking beyond the previous model of hip-hop-based education, Brian Mooney argues for school-wide hip-hop events, such as poetry slams, as the ideal site for students to engage in the elements of hip-hop culture. Working from the perspective of a classroom teacher, the author reflects on the story of Word Up!, a hip-hop and spoken word poetry event that began with students in a New Jersey high school. He makes the case for a pedagogy with the potential to transform urban schools and the way we think about them. This is essential reading for any teacher committed to social justice and culturally relevant education.
- Author BiographyBrian Mooney is an educator, scholar, and poet who explores the intersections of hip-hop, spoken word poetry, literacy, and urban education. Brian holds a bachelor's degree from New York University and a master's degree from Teachers College, Columbia University, where he is currently pursuing his Ph.D. in English Education. His work has been featured by national news outlets including The New York Times, NBC, Rolling Stone, NPR, SiriusXM, MTV and others.
- Author(s)Brian Mooney
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication30/08/2016
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleCounterpoints
- Series Part/Volume Number512
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2016
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight240 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.74Trending at AU $16.23
- AU $35.30Trending at AU $38.10
- AU $14.06Trending at AU $20.97
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.98
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.38
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.48
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.