All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBrigid of Kildare, Ireland, is uniquely venerated as both a goddess and a saint throughout Ireland, Europe and the USA. Often referred to as the 'Mary of the Gael' and considered the second most important saint in Ireland after St Patrick, her widespread popularity has led to the creation of more traditional activities than any other saint; some of which survive to this day. As a result of original historical and archaeological research Brian Wright provides a fascinating insight into this unique and mysterious figure. This book uncovers for the first time when and by whom the goddess was 'conceived' and evidence that St Brigid was a real person. It also explains how she 'became' a saint, her historical links with the unification of Ireland under a High King in the first century and discusses in depth her first documented visit to England in AD 488. Today, Brigid remains strongly connected with the fertility of crops, animals and humans and is celebrated throughout the world via the continuation of customs, ceremonies and relics with origins dating back to pre-Christian times. Using a combination of early Celtic history, archaeology, tradition and folklore from Ireland, Britain and many other countries, this comprehensive study unravels the mystery of the goddess and the saint previously complicated by the passage of time.
- Author BiographyBrian Wright is the author of Insurance Company Fire Brigades and Somerset Dragons.
- Author(s)Brian Wright
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/09/2009
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight650 g
- Width170 mm
- Height250 mm
- Spine20 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $132.35Trending at AU $138.02
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.32
- AU $32.92Trending at AU $36.29
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.53
- AU $30.89Trending at AU $31.55
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.06
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $50.95
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.