Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $22.84Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJill Blee's second vel is at once a travel story and an historical vel set in modern Ireland, where Jill's first visit to her ancestral homeland is hijacked by the very real presence of her long-dead great aunt, Brigid. While Jill intends to acquaint herself with the country, the people and the history from which her great-grandparents had migrated, Aunt Brigid single-mindedly steers her back to the wind swept cliffs of County Clare, and the high Burren above the village of Ballyvaghan. Brigid has some unfinished business which quickly becomes Jill's main quest, through which she is brought into a much deeper experience of the great famine than her history books could ever give her. As she follows her aunt's story on the west coast and back to Dublin, Jill's own travel story, complete with Lonely Planet Guide, Irish pubs and Norman ruins, is told with an intense imagery which presents Ireland in her beauty and her romance as clearly as could any cinematographer. Jill Blee is first and foremost an historian, but one who uses fiction to illuminate the past. What Brigid does best is to cast light on what the experience of the famine in a small community, Ballyvaghan, meant in emotional terms for those experiencing it. This is a compassionate vel, well-researched, a compelling read if one has an interest in what is quite recent history, a history which threatens to repeat itself in the modern world.
- Author BiographyJill Blee has a BA and an MA in history from Macquarie University, an MA in writing from the University of Western Sydney, and a PhD in History from the University of Ballarat. Her interests are principally in Irish and Irish-Australian history and literature and both have featured in her own writing. Over the last four years her attention has been focussed on Ballarat and the Irish migrants who settled there during and after the goldrushes of the 1850s.
- Author(s)Jill Blee
- PublisherIndra Publishing
- Date of Publication01/01/1999
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationBriar Hill
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintIndra Publishing
- Weight292 g
- Width215 mm
- Height140 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $20.42Trending at AU $30.71
- AU $23.42Trending at AU $26.51
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.01
- AU $56.62Trending at AU $60.36
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $15.93
- AU $7.48Trending at AU $11.95
- AU $19.09Trending at AU $23.74
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.