All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the years after World War II, new guided missile techlogy offered surface ships the chance to destroy airborne threats from afar, thereby preserving their role in naval warfare. This book examines the techlogy and combat performance of Britain's guided missile destroyers over half a century. Uniquely among modern destroyers, three of these classes have been tested in battle against the aircraft and missiles of ather modern navy - in the Falklands War - as well as being deployed during the Gulf War. Written by an expert on British naval techlogy, this book assess the changing techlogy of the Royal Navy's destroyers over half a century, including an examination of the Royal Navy's newest and most capable warship, the Type 45.
- Author BiographyEdward Hampshire was educated at Magdalen College, Oxford and King's College, London, where he gained a doctorate in War Studies in 2008. He is currently a Senior Lecturer at the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst. Dr Hampshire wrote his doctoral thesis on British naval technology of the 1960s, and he is currently researching British defence policy of the late 1970s and 1980s, in particular the 1981 Defence Review. His publications include 'From East of Suez to the Eastern Atlantic, British Naval Policy 1964-70'. Paul Wright has painted ships of all kinds for most of his career, specializing in steel and steam warships from the late 19th century to the present day. Paul's art has illustrated the works of Patrick O'Brian, Dudley Pope and C.S. Forester amongst others, and hangs in many corporate and private collections all over the world. A Member of the Royal Society of Marine Artists, Paul lives and works in Surrey.
- Author(s)Edward Hampshire
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication19/05/2016
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleNew Vanguard
- Series Part/Volume Number234
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOsprey Publishing
- Content Note20 b/w; 27 col
- Weight167 g
- Width184 mm
- Height248 mm
- Spine5 mm
- Illustrator(s)Paul Wright
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $71.44
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.89
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.83
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.55
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.04
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.67
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.44
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.