All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the inter-war years Richard Perkins, a keen amateur photographer and avid collector, amassed one of the world's largest personal collections of warship negatives. This he eventually bequeathed to the National Maritime Museum, where it still forms the core of the historic photos naval section. While he was actively acquiring photos, he found that many were neither identified r accurately dated, so he began to compile an album of his own drawings, which incorporated as much detail as possible on individual ships that could be amended as he discovered more information. His main concentration was on features differentiating ships of the same class and, wherever possible, precisely dating alterations to their appearance, all portrayed in exquisite multi-coloured antated line drawings. This project grew into an ermous resource covering virtually every Royal Navy ship from 1860 to 1939, when security restrictions forced Perkins to stop work. This material was also donated to the NMM, where it was bound into eight large folio volumes that became a key reference for the curators of historic photos, but unkwn and almost inaccessible to the interested public.This makes this first publication an event of the utmost importance for every enthusiast and ship modeller - it reproduces all the drawings at full size and in colour, and will eventually form a multi-volume set of unique reference value.
- Author BiographyRICHARD PERKINS was a leading light in the Naval Photograph Club, where he became the acknowledged expert on identifying and dating warship photos. What he called his 'Historical Identification Book' was originally intended only to help with this work, but its wider significance is highlighted in this edition by ANDREW CHOONG, Curator of Historic Photos.
- Author(s)Richard Perkins
- PublisherPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Date of Publication15/04/2016
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationBarnsley
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSeaforth Publishing
- Weight736 g
- Width246 mm
- Height375 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.04
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.68
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.35
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $17.94
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.