All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFollowing Aquinas and Girard , Alison plumbs the depth of human nature to demonstrate that religious truths are truths we must experience in our own lives. No Catholic writer has created more excitement in recent years than James Alison. His readings of Scripture and his explorations of the great themes of systematic theology have refreshed, moved and astonished readers inside and outside the church. This new book is about religion and violence, God and desire, and the recovery of an authentically Catholic vision of life. It includes a series of brilliant biblical commentaries - including a striking reinterpretation of the parable of the prodigal son - and reflections on the 'terrifying and risky business' of being a gay Catholic. 'I am a priest, but, as far as I can tell, of juridical standing' and 'a theologian, but I effectively work as a freelancer. This too is an amaly, since theology is an ecclesial discipline, presupposing structure, collegiality and oversight, so to be a 'freelance theologian' sounds to me very much like a contradiction in terms.' In God, desire and the endgame, Catholicism becomes an earthquake that overturns all our self-understandings and all our pattern of desire.
- Author BiographyJames Alison is a Catholic theologian, priest, and author. Having lived with the Dominican Order between 1981 and 1995, he currently travels the world as an itinerant preacher, lecturer, and retreat giver. He studied at Oxford University and the Jesuit Theology Faculty in Belo Horizonte, Brazil. He has lived and worked in Mexico, Brazil, Bolivia, Chile, and the United States as well as his native England. He is the author of Knowing Jesus, Raising Abel: The Recovery of the Eschatological Imagination, The Joy of Being Wrong, Faith Beyond Resentment, On Being Liked and Undergoing God.
- Author(s)James Alison
- PublisherContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication08/07/2010
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Weight390 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Edition StatementNo UK rights
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.00Trending at AU $50.44
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.00
- AU $68.62Trending at AU $90.31
- AU $32.92Trending at AU $34.88
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $36.15
- AU $26.99Trending at AU $30.94
- AU $37.75Trending at AU $39.42
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.