All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $14.45Trending at AU $21.66
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.07
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
- AU $30.45Trending at AU $51.50
About this product
- DescriptionFor the last three hundred years, and through all its various social and ecomic transformations, The Bronx has been a major literary center that many prominent writers have called home. Bringing together a wide variety of past literary figures as well as emerging talents, this comprehensive book captures the Zeitgeist of the neighborhood through the eyes of its writers. Included are selections from the writings of Jack Kerouac, Mark Twain, James Baldwin, James Fenimore Cooper, Tom Wolfe, Herman Wouk, Theodore Dreiser, Washington Irving, Clifford Odets, Cynthia Ozick, Grace Paley, Edgar Allan Poe, Chaim Potok, Kate Simon, Leon Trotsky, and Sholem Aleichem. Lloyd Ultan and Barbara Unger place the literature of these and other writers in historical context and reproduce one hundred vintage photographs and postcard views that bring the writings to life. Filtered through the imaginations of authors of different times, ethnic groups, social classes, and literary styles, the borough of The Bronx emerges t only as a shaper of destinies and lives, but as an important literary Mecca.
- Author BiographyLloyd Ultan is the author of six books, including The Beautiful Bronx, 1930-1950 and The Bronx in the Innocent Years: 1890-1925. He is a professor of history at Fairleigh Dickinson University and has been appointed the Bronx Borough Historian. Barbara Unger is a poet, author, and retired professor of English and creative writing at The State University of New York at Rockland. She is the author of a book of short fiction plus five poetry collections and is working on a novel.
- Author(s)Barbara Unger,Lloyd Ultan
- PublisherRutgers University Press
- Date of Publication15/12/2006
- Place of PublicationPiscataway
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRivergate Books
- Content Note96 b&w illustrations
- Weight689 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.