Brothers on the Mend: Understanding and Healing Anger for African-American Men and Women by Ernest H. Johnson (Paperback, 1999)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $32.95+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $19.44+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- Description<b>At last -- a book, written by a black man, for black men and women who want less conflict in their relationships and better ways to deal with anger.</b> Although the unique problems of black men are t new, they have been habitually discussed without solid suggestions for change -- until w. Psychologist Ernest Johnson, who has been helping black men cope with anger -- including his own -- for more than a decade, offers hope and answers. He shows how anger can be used -- rather than avoided -- to build a life filled with love, self-respect, and peace. Exploring the sources of frustration particular to black men today, Dr. Johnson offers prescriptions for managing anger and coping with stress. Changing thought patterns -- and actions -- begins with learning how to: <ul><li>Identify camouflaged anger -- rage that may be repressed or diverted into harmful behaviors, such as excessive smoking, alcohol or drug use, poor eating habits, or risky sexual conduct <li>Build on friendliness, happiness, trust, and compassion to achieve a committed relationship with a black woman <li>Recognize the real origins of tense, hurt, or helpless feelings -- the first step toward change <li>Use simple techniques, such as meditation and time-outs, to stop anger before it takes control <li>Move from anger to problem-solving <li>Heal the wounds of the past </ul> Contrary to popular belief, the most powerful part of a man is his feelings. <i>Brothers on the Mend</i> shows African-American men how to heal themselves -- and those who love them -- by embracing the feelings that will set them free.
- Author BiographyDr. Ernest H. Johnson, </b> a medical and health psychologist, is the president and CEO of Infinite Choices & Possibilities Inc. (ICPI), which sponsors health seminars and specializes in information about weight management, hypertension, learning problems in children, HIV prevention, and the reversal of aging. Dr. Johnson is a former professor and director of behavioral medicine research in the department of family medicine at Morehouse School of Medicine, where he directed a $1.7 million grant from the National Institutes of Health to continue research about the associations among stress, anger, and health problems. He earned his Ph.D. in psychology at the University of South Florida.Dr. Johnson speaks widely on the subjects of health, anger management, weight loss, and the prevention of HIV. He has given presentations at colleges and universities across the country. Recently, his focus has been to deliver his message about health, particularly the management of anger, obesity, and hypertension, to members of black churches throughout the southeastern United States. He is currently working on a personal empowerment program for men incarcerated for anger and substance abuse problems.
- Author(s)Ernest H. Johnson
- PublisherSimon & Schuster
- Date of Publication01/01/1999
- SubjectSelf Improvement: General
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPocket Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight421 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.04
- AU $28.71Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.68
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $17.94
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
- AU $30.17Trending at AU $33.12
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.