Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.79
- AU $7.52Trending at AU $8.17
- AU $15.64Trending at AU $18.65
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.29
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $46.74
- AU $26.78Trending at AU $27.99
About this product
- DescriptionThe views of Budapest by the River Danube are unparalleled in Europe. On one side, the Buda Hills reach almost to the riverside, with Castle Hill and Gellert Hill offering outstanding paramas. Pest, linked to Buda by a series of imposing bridges, with its mixture of late nineteenth-century Historicist and early twentieth-century Art Nouveau architecture, is still very much a turn-of-the-century city. For more than fifty years prior to the Second World War, Budapest was one of the outstanding cultural capitals of Central Europe, on a par with, and in some ways in advance of Vienna and Prague. Now, longer hidden behind the Iron Curtain, much of that old atmosphere has returned. With its rich and often turbulent history, its unique thermal baths, its excellent public transport system, its street cafes and broad-ranging cultural scene, Budapest is a captivating metropolis, currently being rediscovered as one of the liveliest cities in the region. The city of Danube: Straddling the majestic river, Budapest's location is unique, its architecture stunning; the story of Castle Hill, overlooking the Danube, recalls the birth of the city as well as the sixteenth-century monarch, King Matthias, and Hungary's golden age associated with his reign. The city of Fusions: Bartok and Kodaly fused folk and classical; the tradition continues with Budapest's vibrant mixture of live folk, gypsy, klezmer and jazz. The city of the Unkwn: Breaking through the barrier of the Hungarian language, often described as impenetrable, presented here are writers and poets deserving international recognition.
- Author BiographyBOB DENT has lived in Budapest since 1986. He has written extensively on the city's cultural and political history.
- Author(s)Bob Dent
- PublisherSignal Books Ltd
- Date of Publication09/01/2007
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleCities of the Imagination
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSignal Books Ltd
- Content Note30 b&w drawings
- Width133 mm
- Height203 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.