All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $56.35Trending at AU $60.64
- AU $19.08Trending at AU $26.10
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.55Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.87Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $47.17Trending at AU $59.70
About this product
- DescriptionOriginally published by Writers and Readers in 1998 and republished in 2008 by Hampton Roads, this is an icoclastic, illustrated romp through the life of the Buddha - both a credible exploration of his life and teachings and an entertaining introduction to the philosophy of Buddhism. Many Westerners kw about the meditation practices of Buddhism, but few understand the Buddha's philosophical teachings. This book puts the teachings (dharma) in their proper context and unravels some of the more dense kts of Buddha's thinking. And it does all this while entertaining the reader with humorous illustrations and pop-culture sensibility. This primer, constructed like a graphic vel, cuts through the New Age nsense that is often mistaken for Buddhism. Asma is perceptive and passionate. BUDDHA FOR BEGINNERS is truly a book that engages the intellect, opens the heart and expands the spirit. BUDDHA FOR BEGINNERS introduces the reader to the historical Buddha, to the ideas that made him change his life and to the fascinating philosophical debates that engaged him and formed the core of Buddhism. It, also, compares Buddha's philosophy with those of his contemporaries, the later Buddhist schools and Western Philosophy. The book includes a survey, distinguishing the philosophical differences of later schools like Theravada, Madhyamaika, Tantric, Zen and others. Through some magical combination of words, drawings and intuitive wisdom, BUDDHA FOR BEGINNERS conveys t only the facts of Buddhism, but the peace, the silence.the feel of it - a book that should be experienced as much as it should be read.
- Author BiographyStephen T. Asma is Professor of Philosophy in the Department of Humanities, History and Social Sciences at Columbia College Chicago, where he currently holds the titles of Distinguished Scholar and Fellow of the LAS Research Group in Mind, Science and Culture.
- Author(s)Stephen T. Asma
- PublisherFor Beginners
- Date of Publication31/05/2015
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Series TitleFor Beginners
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1899
- ImprintFor Beginners
- Weight272 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Illustrator(s)Stephen T. Asma
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.