All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis seminal study of the religious and ecomic history of Buddhism by the premier French silogue has for decades been considered an unsurpassed classic. Here, for the first time, it is available to English-language readers in an updated edition. The fifth through tenth centuries were the period of the greatest expansion of the Buddhist Church in China. Monastic estates controlled a sizeable share of the ecomy, owning a considerable amount of land and agricultural and manufacturing enterprises. Gernet examines the religious and ecomic aspects of the society dominated by this power, and explores the Church's effect on Chinese thought and culture. A much broader historical overview than many works that discuss the ecomic intricacies of Buddhism in China, Buddhism in Chinese Society interweaves an understanding of social and political organization, Buddhist religious philosophy and doctrine, legal tenets, customs of the day, and many other significant layers of Chinese culture. Drawing largely upon primary sources - from the work of official Chinese historians to the writings of Buddhist monks - Gernet demonstrates the far-reaching influence of Buddhism on the ecomic development of China during a time when the religion was growing at an unprecedented rate among all levels of society. Buddhism in Chinese Society looks at state and imperial policy but also delves into the lives of villagers far away from the major centers of religious and ecomic power. Translated and revised by respected scholar of Chinese religions Franciscus Verellen, who has worked closely with Gernet, this edition includes new references, an extensive, up-to-date bibliography, and a comprehensive index.
- Author BiographyJacques Gernet is the author of China and the Christian Impact: A Conflict of Cultures and Daily Life in China: On the Eve of the Mongol Invasion, 1250-1276. He is the coauthor of A History of Chinese Civilization.Franciscus Verellen is a member of the Ecole Francaise d'Extreme-Oreint.
- Author(s)Jacques Gernet
- PublisherColumbia University Press
- Date of Publication11/08/1998
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintColumbia University Press
- Weight726 g
- Width148 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Translated byFranciscus Verellen
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.53Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.11
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $102.82
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $84.79
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.12
- AU $57.63Trending at AU $60.49
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $24.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.