All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.15
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.45
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.32
- AU $46.38Trending at AU $48.26
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.26
About this product
- DescriptionIn Building the Trident Network, Maggie Mort approaches the United Kingdom's Trident submarine and missile system as a sociotechnical network. Drawing on the sociology of scientific and technical kwledge and on actor-network theory, Mort recounts how the Trident program was stabilized in the United Kingdom and brought into successful production. She uncovers the nature of this success by retelling ufficial histories of Trident, of production roads t taken, and of potential techlogical distractions. The production of Trident, she shows, was t inevitable but contingent and problematic. Using material from interviews and local texts, Mort explores the emergence of a counternetwork in the form of a workers' campaign for alternative techlogies. She develops concepts of disenrollment and absent intermediaries, in which redundant workers and marginalized techlogies serve to discipline and reinforce the dominant network as production shrinks. She also examines the maintenance of the barrier between the technical and the social/political in this context. The management of uncertainties within the Trident production program emerges as critical to its successful completion.
- Author BiographyMaggie Mort is Reader in the Sociology of Science, Technology, and Medicine in the Department of Sociology and Division of Medicine at Lancaster University in the UK.
- Author(s)Maggie Mort
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication03/12/2001
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleInside Technology
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note17 illus.
- Weight499 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Interest AgeFrom 18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.