All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $7.99Trending at AU $8.23
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.78
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.22
- AU $66.30Trending at AU $74.69
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.87
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.23
About this product
- DescriptionWhat is it that drives the success of America and the identity of its people? Jack Hitt thinks it's because we're all a bunch of amateurs. America s self-invented tinkerers are back at it in their metaphorical garages fiddling with everything from solar-powered cars to space elevators. In <i>Bunch of Amateurs</i>, Jack Hitt draws a fascinating look at amateurs and their pursuits from a tattooed young woman in the Bay Area trying to splice a jellyfish s glow-in-the-dark gene into common yogurt to a space fanatic on the brink of developing the next generation of telescopes from his mobile home. Beginning with Ben Franklin s kite, Hitt argues that history is bound up in a cycle of amateur surges, each one driving us to rediscover the true heart of the American dream. Amateur pursuits are too often criticized as outdated practices until a Mark Zuckerberg steps out of his dorm room with the rare but crucial success story.According toHitt, we arepoised at ather frontier that will lead, once more, to the newestincarnation of the American dream.
- Author Biography<b>JACK HITT</b> is a contributing editor to the <i>New York Times Magazine</i>, <i>The New Yorker</i>, and public radio s <i>This American Life</i>. He also writes for R<i>olling Stone, GQ, Wired, </i> and, of course, <i>Garden & Gun</i>. He has won the Peabody Award, as well as the Livingston and Pope Foundation Awards.
- Author(s)Jack Hitt
- PublisherBroadway Books (A Division of Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group Inc)
- Date of Publication15/05/2013
- SubjectInventions & Technology: General Interest
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBroadway Books (A Division of Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group Inc)
- Out-of-print date23/11/2015
- Content Note7 Black and White Line Drawings
- Weight227 g
- Width130 mm
- Height201 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.