All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.93
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.27
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.59
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.47
- AU $46.38Trending at AU $48.34
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.40
About this product
- DescriptionBy Reason of Breakings, Andrew Zawacki's first book of poetry, overwhelms and silences by virtue of its extremely austere beauty. In highly wrought lyrics, prose poems, fragments of apocrypha, and splintered efforts at song, this volume is forceful and haunted by doubt. Each intimate and restrained line is a glimpse at a wisdom that defies paraphrase, each image carefully chosen and constructed. Zawacki's language summons and invites and is almost menacing in its delicate intensity: Weight is the syntax of filling empty spaces. scalpels and expired tissue fall, but fire rises to fever and sere. While pursuing an explanation for the disappearance of God and for the deuement of a love affair, and exploring the failure of language to compensate or console, these poems maintain their sublime power and elegance.
- Author BiographyAndrew Zawacki is coeditor of the international journal Verse, a reviewer for the Boston Review and the Times Literary Supplement, and an editor of the anthology Afterwards: Slovenian Writing, 1945-1995. A former Rhodes and Fulbright scholar, he studies in the Committee on Social Thought at the University of Chicago.
- Author(s)Andrew Zawacki
- PublisherUniversity of Georgia Press
- Date of Publication31/01/2002
- LanguageEnglish & English
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitleContemporary Poetry S.
- Place of PublicationGeorgia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Georgia Press
- Weight127 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine7 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.