All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor more than 150 years, the natural invasion route along the waterways of the Champlain and Richelieu valleys into rtheastern North America was among the most fiercely contested in the history of the continent. Whether the French and their Indian allies attacking British forts and settlements during the Seven Years' War, the American Continentals striking rth into Canada during the American Revolution, or the British battling French and later American forces in these wars and the War of 1812, it was clear to policy makers in Quebec, London, Paris, Philadelphia, and Washington that whoever controlled this corridor and its lakes and rivers, controlled the heart of the continent. In By Wind and Iron: Naval Campaigns in the Champlain Valley, 1665-1815, Michael G. Laramie details the maritime history of this region from the first French fortifications along the Richelieu River in the late seventeenth century through the tremendous American victory over the British at the Battle of Plattsburgh on Lake Champlain in 1814. Using period letters, journals, and other primary source materials, the author examines the rtheastern waterways and their tributaries within the framework of the soldiers and sailors who faced the perils of the campaigns, while at the same time clarifying the key role played by this region in the greater struggle for North America and American independence. In support of the narrative, the book also contains appendices that include after action reports from various fleet commanders, tables of fleet strengths, additional battle maps, a glossary, and a dictionary of lake warships with tes on vessel types, typical armament, construction, deployment, and fates.
- Author BiographyMICHAEL G. LARAMIE is the author of The European Invasion of North America: Colonial Conflict Along the Hudson-Champlain Corridor, 1609-1760, and several articles on colonial military affairs. An engineer by profession, he currently resides with his wife and four children in Arizona.
- Author(s)Michael G. Laramie
- PublisherWestholme Publishing, U.S.
- Date of Publication30/09/2014
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationYardley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWestholme Publishing, U.S.
- Content Note50 b/w, maps
- Weight544 g
- Width154 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.25
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.14
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $168.19
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.33
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $105.74
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $51.77
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.