All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBy the sixth century of the common era the Roman Empire already had many hundreds of years of accumulated ceremonial embedded in its government, and practical science embodied in its army. The transition from Republic to Imperium and the more hierarchical structure that entailed, and the absorption of Christianity into state processes, had pushed the development of court ceremonial apace, and particularly driven its embodiment and display in ever more opulent regalia. The regalia embraced t only garments of distinctive form and decoration, but also both dress and n-dress accessories. It was crucial in displaying rank and function on an everyday basis, yet was also varied considerably for special occasions. Military dress largely reflected forms current amongst ordinary men, but with an emphasis on functionality, eschewing the excesses of fashion. Detailed literary and artistic sources, archaeology and insights derived from reconstruction and practical experience has gone into creating an incredibly lavish picture of the clothing of the longest-enduring political entity in history.
- Author BiographyTIMOTHY DAWSON has published widely on aspects of material culture and social history, particularly clothing and military matters. He has a BA(Hons) in Classical Studies, and a doctorate at the University of New England via a dissertation on court dress and regalia in Constantinople. GRAHAM SUMNER is the author and illustrator of numerous books on the Roman army, including Arms and Armour of the Imperial Roman Soldier (Frontline).
- Author(s)Graham Sumner,Timothy Dawson
- PublisherPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Date of Publication30/09/2015
- SubjectAncient History
- Place of PublicationBarnsley
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFrontline Books
- Content Note16 colour paintings / illustrated throughout
- Width215 mm
- Height280 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.52Trending at AU $57.15
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $31.94Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.