All listings for this product
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $41.63Trending at AU $45.41
- AU $11.52Trending at AU $12.85
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $17.69
- AU $23.07Trending at AU $30.77
- AU $29.96Trending at AU $31.25
- AU $10.87Trending at AU $13.95
- AU $29.96Trending at AU $38.56
About this product
- DescriptionThe American way of life, built on individual liberty and limited government, is on life support.American freedom is being gutted. Whether we are trying to run a business, practice a vocation, raise our families, cooperate with our neighbors, or follow our religious beliefs, we run afoul of the government t because we are doing anything wrong but because the government has decided it kws better. When we object, that government can and does tell us, Try to fight this, and we ll ruin you. In this provocative book, acclaimed social scientist and bestselling author Charles Murray shows us why we can longer hope to roll back the power of the federal government through the rmal political process. The Constitution is broken in ways that cant be fixed even by a sympathetic Supreme Court. Our legal system is increasingly lawless, unmoored from traditional ideas of the rule of law. The legislative process has become systemically corrupt matter which party is in control.But there s good news beyond the Beltway. Techlogy is siphoning power from sclerotic government agencies and putting it in the hands of individuals and communities. The rediversification of American culture is making local freedom attractive to liberals as well as conservatives. People across the political spectrum are increasingly alienated from a regulatory state that nakedly serves its own interests rather than those of ordinary Americans.The even better news is that federal government has a fatal weakness: It can get away with its thousands of laws and regulations only if the overwhelming majority of Americans voluntarily comply with them. Murray describes how civil disobedience backstopped by legal defense funds can make largeportions of the 180,000-page Federal Code of Regulations unenforceable, through a targeted program that identifies regulations that arbitrarily and capriciously tell us what to do. Americans have it within their power to make the federal government an insurable hazard like hurricanes and floods, leaving us once again free to live our lives as we see fit. By the People s hopeful message is that rebuilding our traditional freedoms does t require electing a right-thinking Congress or president, r does it require five right-thinking justices on the Supreme Court. It can be done by we the people, using America s unique civil society to put government back in its proper box. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographyCharles Murray is the W. H. Brady Scholar at the American Enterprise Institute. He came to national attention first in 1984 with Losing Ground and most recently in 2012 with Coming Apart. He lives with his wife in Burkittsville, Maryland.
- Author(s)Charles Murray
- PublisherRandom House Audio Publishing Group
- Date of Publication12/05/2015
- SubjectCurrent Affairs & Issues
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRandom House Audio Publishing Group
- Weight272 g
- Width127 mm
- Height150 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Read byCharles Murray,John H Mayer
- Contained items statement10 Audio CDs
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time720
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.