Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionThe Chronicles of Narnia made C.S. Lewis one of the most successful and best loved writers of the twentieth century. He also won an ermous following through his religious books - Mere Christianity , The Screwtape Letters , Surprised by Joy - books which are still sold in their thousands today. His works of scholarship - above all his English Literature in the Sixteenth Century - have achieved classic status. Lewis was a brillant, prolific writer and a deeply complex man, capable of inspiring both great devotion and great hostility. A.N. Wilson charts the progress of the clever child from Ulster to Oxford, where he was a fellow of Magdalen College for the greater part of his adult life. He describes Lewis's unwilling conversion to Christianity, the Oxford circle of his friends kwn as the Inklings (which included J.R.R.Tolkien and David Cecil) and the genesis of his writing; most intriguingly of the Narnia stories. He explores Lewis's relationship with a much older woman, Janie Moore, which kept him in domestic thrall for thirty years, and his later marriage to a divorced women in defiance of the church.
- PrizesWinner of Whitbread Book Awards: Biography Category 1990.
- Author(s)A. N. Wilson
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers
- Date of Publication12/02/1990
- SubjectBiography: Literary
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintHarperCollins Publishers Ltd
- Out-of-print date12/02/1993
- Content Note8pp b&w illustrations
- Weight1 g
- Width162 mm
- Height240 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.