All listings for this product
Consider these sponsored items
About this product
- DescriptionSkulls, butterflies, hunting trophies, ancient Egyptian artifacts, the alleged skeletons of mythological creatures and many other mysterious oddities fill the shelves of cabinets of curiosities. A centuries old tradition that developed in Europe during the Renaissance, the curiosity cabinet is again in fashion. Shops, restaurants and private residences echo these cabinets in their interior design, either by making use of the eclectic vintage objects commonly featured in such collections or by including the fully stocked cabinets themselves. For many, it seems, the smooth surfaces of modern design have lost their allure. An article in the New York Times, titled the New Antiquarians, describes a current trend in interior design that embraces a new vintage look. This style makes use of an eclectic combination of objects: taxidermy, mounted antlers, ancestral portraits, old leather books and cabinets filled with collections. You've seen this style of decor invade restaurants, bars and hotels. It's featured in magazines like GQ and blogs like the A Continuous Lean. Aligned with this popular trend, Cabinets of Curiosities showcases exceptional collections in homes and museums, with more than 180 photographs, while also explaining the history behind the tradition, the best kwn cabinets and the types of objects typically displayed. Offering both a historical overview and a look into contemporary interior design, this extravagantly illustrated book celebrates the wonderfully off world of cabinets of curiosities.
- Author BiographyChristine Davenne is a lecturer in fine arts at the IUFM d'Aquitaine and is the author of the book Modernite du cabinet de curiosites. Christine Fleurent photographs regularly for women's magazines, advertising and has contributed to numerous books, including La Cuisine des parfums and La Maison de chocolat.
- Author(s)Christine Davenne
- Date of Publication01/10/2012
- SubjectHouse & Home
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight1656 g
- Width216 mm
- Height311 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Photographs byChristine Fleurent
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $74.54Trending at AU $75.65
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.58
- AU $31.33Trending at AU $37.07
- AU $17.66Trending at AU $22.78
- AU $13.07Trending at AU $16.63
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.34
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $50.97
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.