All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTracing the extraordinary trajectory of the great Roman emperor's life, Goldsworthy covers t only the great Roman emperor's accomplishments as charismatic orator, conquering general, and powerful dictator but also lesser-kwn chapters during which he was high priest of an exotic cult, captive of pirates, seducer t only of Cleopatra but also of the wives of his two main political rivals, and rebel condemned by his own country. Ultimately, Goldsworthy realizes the full complexity of Caesar's character and shows why his political and military leadership continues to resonate some two thousand years later. In the introduction to his biography of the great Roman emperor, Adrian Goldsworthy writes, Caesar was at times many things, including a fugitive, prisoner, rising politician, army leader, legal advocate, rebel, dictator . . . as well as husband, father, lover and adulterer. In this landmark biography, Goldsworthy examines Caesar as military leader, all of these roles and places his subject firmly within the context of Roman society in the first century B.C.
- Author Biography<b>Adrian Goldsworthy</b> read history at Oxford and is the author of <i>The Roman Army at War</i>, <i>The Punic Wars</i>, and other books about the ancient world. He lives in Wales.
- Author(s)Research Fellow Adrian Goldsworthy
- PublisherYale University Press
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, maps
- Weight680 g
- Width154 mm
- Height233 mm
- Spine41 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.24
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.23
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.52
- AU $28.11Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.00
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.46
- AU $14.43Trending at AU $22.84
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.