All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLet them eat cake! What birthday, wedding, bar mitzvah or children's party would be complete without it? It is the ultimate food of celebration in many cultures throughout the world, but how did it come to be so? Cake: A Global History explores the origin of modern cake and its development from sweet bread to architectural flight of fancy, together with the meanings, legends and rituals attached to cake throughout the world. Nicola Humble reviews the many national differences in cake-making techniques and customs the French, for example, have the gateau Paris-Brest, named after the cycle race and designed to imitate the form of a bicycle wheel; in America there is New England's Election Day cake or the Southern favourite, Lady Baltimore cake and what they reveal about the nations that make them. From Proust's madeleine to Miss Havisham's decaying wedding cake, the symbol of her betrayal in Dickens' Great Expectations , Humble also relates the food's place in literature, art and film, and what it can symbolize and illustrate: indulgence, gender, motherhood and guilt. With a large selection of mouthwatering images, Cake will appeal to the many readers with an interest in food history, social, cultural, literary and art history or, indeed, just in cake.
- Author BiographyNicola Humble is Professor of English Literature at Roehampton University. She is the author of Culinary Pleasures: Cook Books and the Transformation of British Food, as well as Victorian Heroines: Representations of Femininity in Nineteenth-Century Literature and Art.
- Author(s)Nicola Humble
- PublisherReaktion Books
- Date of Publication30/04/2010
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Series TitleEdible
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintReaktion Books
- Content Note20 black & white illustrations, 40 colour illustrations
- Weight318 g
- Width120 mm
- Height220 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.37
- AU $27.82Trending at AU $30.75
- AU $21.76Trending at AU $26.80
- AU $29.36Trending at AU $31.85
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $79.91
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.68
- AU $26.39Trending at AU $26.97
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.