All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $31.94Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $28.49Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $30.26Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.66
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $40.06
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.84
About this product
- DescriptionCalendar and Community traces the development of the Jewish calendar from its origins until it reached, in the tenth century CE, its present form. Drawing on a wide range of often neglected sources - literary, documentary, epigraphic, Jewish, Graeco-Roman and Christian - it is the first comprehensive work to have been written on the subject. It will be useful t only to historians and epigraphists for the interpretation of early Jewish datings, but also as a historical study of early Judaism in its own right. Its main theme is that the Jewish calendar evolved in the course of this period from considerable diversity (with a variety of solar and lunar calendars) to unity (with the rmative rabbinic calendar). The unification of the calendar was one element in the unification of Jewish identity in later antiquity and the early medieval world.
- Author BiographyResearch Fellow, Lecturer, then Senior Lecturer at Jews' College (now the London School of Jewish Studies), University of London, since 1990.
- Author(s)Sacha Stern
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication04/10/2001
- SubjectAstronomy, Space & Time
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintClarendon Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight605 g
- Width163 mm
- Height243 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.