Calm in the Cauldron: John 'Joe Cool' Dorahy Rugby League Phenomenon by John Dorahy, Tom Mather (Paperback, 2010)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $21.24Free postage
- Good condition
- Sold by adopt-a-book-today
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJust one week after his seventeenth birthday, John 'Joe Cool' Dorahy entered the cauldron that was senior rugby league. His journey from schoolboy rugby league phemen to consummate senior champion was inevitable. Dorahy played at a time when the all seeing and unforgiving eye of television and video replay was unkwn. The thuggery that went on out of sight of the officials is today easily forgotten, yet the kid from Wollongong was to remain in this arena for almost twenty years before becoming a coach. During that time he would: Take a tackle in a City v Country game that would paralyse him and cause one of the medics to say, 'Do t move your head, it may fall off!' ; play a semi-final in Sydney having fractured a cheekbone in the previous round, an injury he hid from both team mates and the opposition; get a very late call up for the greatest hour in the game, a coveted Green and Gold Jumper; take Ken Arthurson and the Australian Rugby League to the High Court claiming restraint of trade; play for one club with contract trusting in the handshake of the Chairman; lose a Rugby League Challenge Cup Final, missing a conversion with literally the last kick of the game; captain the Illawarra Steelers in their inauguration season; take Wigan to a League and Cup double only to be sacked five days later; help in the start up of the Western Reds in Perth only to lose out once again when the 'suits' that were Super League moved in. Calm in the Cauldron is a warts and all account of a career that spanned both sides of the world, and is a must for fans who long for the game as it existed in the good old pre-television, rough, tough, blood and guts days of the Greatest Game in the World.
- Author(s)John Dorahy,Tom Mather
- PublisherJohn Dorahy
- Date of Publication01/09/2010
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationFigtree, NSW
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintJohn Dorahy
- Width150 mm
- Height230 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.38Trending at AU $49.05
- AU $74.58Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $22.11Trending at AU $22.83
- AU $35.52Trending at AU $38.73
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $17.63Trending at AU $22.87
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.49
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.