All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCalvinism must be assigned a significant place among the forces that have shaped modern European culture. Even w, despite its history of religious fragmentation and secularization, Europe continues to bear the marks of a pervasive Calvinist ethos. The character of that ethos is, however, difficult to pin down. In this volume, many of the traditional scholarly conundrums about the relationship between Calvinism and the cultural history of Europe are revisited and re-investigated, to see what new light can be shed on them. For example, how has the ethos of Calvinism, or more broadly the Reformed tradition, affected ecomic thinking and practice, the development of the sciences, views on religious toleration, or the constitution of European polities? In general, what kind of transformations did Calvinism's distinct spirituality bring about? Such questions demand painstaking and detailed scholarly work, a fine sample of which is published in this volume.
- Author BiographyGijsbert van den Brink, Ph.D. (1993), Utrecht University, holds the Chair for the Theology of Reformed Protestantism at the Protestant Theological University in Amsterdam and is Associate Professor of Christian Doctrine at the VU University Amsterdam, the Netherlands. He has published on historical and doctrinal issues within the Reformed tradition and beyond. Harro M. Hopfl, Ph.D. (1989), Lancaster University, was Research Professor (and is now Visiting Fellow) at the Essex Business School, Essex University, and is Adjunct Professor at the University of Canberra. He has published many monographs and articles on the political theory of Calvin, the Calvinists, and the early Jesuits, and has also co-edited Managing Modernity (Oxford UP, 2011).
- Date of Publication18/09/2014
- SubjectChristian Theology
- Series TitleStudies in Reformed Theology
- Series Part/Volume Number27
- Place of PublicationLeiden
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- Weight440 g
- Width160 mm
- Height240 mm
- Volume editorGijsbert van den Brink,Harro Hopfl
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $30.21Trending at AU $34.60
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.13Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $23.42
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.