All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe introduction of Kodak's Brownie (the world's first simple, low-cost camera) in 1900 made photography accessible to the masses. Soon everyone had a camera, and snapshots became the most popular means of capturing a time, place, or memory. As the medium became more ubiquitous, so did the variety of cameras available. This remarkable book celebrates the toy camera and its rise out of a velty market. Inexpensive, often shamelessly marketed to children and sometimes just plain quirky, these cameras have become a niche industry that thrived during the analogue film era and continues to enjoy immense popularity in our digital world. Full-colour photographs showcase the most unusual examples of functioning cameras - retro analogues, custom pieces, cool new products from Japan and all sorts of camera-themed objects and accessories - and the photographs they create. Interviews with the inventor of the Holga and those responsible for Lomography help explain Game Boy and Batman-themed cameras, and cameras specifically made to photograph cats. Insightful essays explore the role of marketing and hipster culture in these cameras' popularity, as well as the newfound enthusiasm for their special effects. Photography purists as well as retro fans will find this volume equally fascinating, wide-ranging, and inspiring.
- Author BiographyChristopher D. Salyers is a Brooklyn-based, AIGA award-winning book designer and author of numerous popular culture titles, including Vending Machines: Coined Consumerism and Face Food Recipes: A How-To Guide. His work has been featured in Wired, The New York Times, Fast Company, Fader, Monocle, TV Asahi, and Fox News. Buzz Poole has written about books, design, art, and culture for numerous outlets, including Print, The Village Voice, The Believer, Los Angeles Review of Books, San Francisco Chronicle, and The Millions. He is the author of the story collection I Like to Keep My Troubles on the Windy Side of Things
- Author(s)Buzz Poole,Christopher D. Salyers
- Date of Publication21/08/2014
- Place of PublicationMunich
- Country of PublicationGermany
- Content Note220 colour
- Weight993 g
- Width210 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.95
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.