All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $21.88Trending at AU $34.44
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $20.37Trending at AU $22.08
About this product
- DescriptionCampbell River is a modern city of 30,000 on the east coast of Vancouver Island that still retains an aura of the frontier, a result of its status as gateway to the wilder reaches of the upper BC coast. Although the community has roots in mining, fishing and logging, it has long been a recreational centre, famous for the size of its Tyee salmon. This is three books in one: it blends the city's fascinating history, contemporary life and breathtaking scenery into one volume. The informative text by local writer Ian Douglas features the area's rich First Nations culture and key pioneers along with modern-day artists, business people and community leaders. We meet Charles Thulin, the father of Campbell River , who came to the area in 1904 and built the town's first hotel and store; and writer, sport fisher and conservationist Roderick Haig-Brown, whose home has become a BC Heritage Site and literary landmark. We explore areas around the city including Mittlenatch Island, a seabird colony and nature reserve nicknamed the Galapagos of the Gulf of Georgia and majestic Strathcona Park, BC's oldest provincial park. Quadra Island resident and author Ian Douglas interviewed dozens of locals to bring to life the community of Campbell River and the surrounding islands, and award-winning photographer Boomer Jerritt skilfully illustrates the story with breathtaking photographs of the people, places and wildlife that make this part of Vancouver Island unique. The result is a beautiful coffee-table book that celebrates the beauty of the region, and the people -- past and present -- that have made the area the special place it is today.
- Author BiographyIan Douglas lives in Heriot Bay, BC.
- Author(s)Prof. Ian Douglas
- PublisherHarbour Publishing
- Date of Publication15/01/2011
- SubjectPeople & Places: General
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintHarbour Publishing
- Content Note200 colour photos
- Weight562 g
- Width280 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine14 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.