All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $65.50Trending at AU $75.22
- AU $143.50Trending at AU $152.67
- AU $44.92Trending at AU $56.19
- AU $28.56Trending at AU $29.58
- AU $20.94Trending at AU $25.80
- AU $20.25Trending at AU $22.04
About this product
- Descriptioncampie un 1 a sober, celibate, bankrupt vegetarian who mops floors, cleans toilets, burns garbage, does laundry, makes beds and picks up after rig workers. 2 nickname for the camp attendant in an oil-rig camp. 3 the loneliest person in the oil fields. When it all goes south, you can always go rth Bankrupt, homeless and with only an old Toyota Tercel to her name, Barbara Stewart has taken a job as a camp attendant at Trinidad 11, an oil-rig camp in the wilderness of rthwestern Alberta. She was told it's a dry camp--good news for a person hoping to stay sober--but she soon finds out this isn't true. During the day, she mops floors, scrubs bathrooms, changes smelly beds and picks up empties. At night, as she burns garbage in the incinerator, she finds solace alone under the stars and tries to reconcile her past with an uncertain future. When she discovers that a campie who doesn't play doesn't stay, Barbara is forced to make a decision. Campie is an entertaining, compelling account of how an ordinary person survives when things fall apart and there's eat pray love holiday to put them back together.
- Author BiographyBarbara Stewart has worked as a banker, homemaker, housecleaner, nail girl and furniture salesperson. Soon after her stint as a campie, she went to work at Heart House, a bed-and-breakfast for heart patients and their families. In 2006 she returned to university and in 2010 graduated with a Bachelor of Arts (With Distinction) from the University of Victoria's Writing Program. She has been published in Event, Grain and The Walrus and was shortlisted in the CBC Literary Awards competition for non-fiction (2008) and the Event Creative Non-fiction Contest (2009). She lives in Langley, BC.
- Author(s)Barbara Stewart
- PublisherHeritage House Publishing Co Ltd
- Date of Publication15/08/2011
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationBritish Columbia
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintHeritage House Publishing Co Ltd
- Weight242 g
- Width139 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.