All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDespite the vast differences between the Right and the Left over the role of education in the production of inequality one common element both sides share is a sense that education can and should do something about society, to either restore what is being lost or radically alter what is there w. The question was perhaps put most succinctly by the radical educator George Counts in 1932 when he asked Dare the School Build a New Social Order? , challenging entire generations of educators to participate in, actually to lead, the reconstruction of society. Over 70 years later, celebrated educator, author and activist Michael Apple revisits Counts' w iconic works, compares them to the equally powerful voices of miritized people, and again asks the seemingly simply question of whether education truly has the power to change society. In this groundbreaking work, Apple pushes educators toward a more substantial understanding of what schools do and what we can do to challenge the relations of dominance and subordination in the larger society. This touchstone volume is both provocative and honest about the ideological and ecomic conditions that groups in society are facing and is certain to become ather classic in the can of Apple's work and the literature on education more generally.
- Author BiographyMichael W. Apple is John Bascom Professor of Curriculum and Instruction and Educational Policy Studies at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA.
- Author(s)Michael W. Apple
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication29/11/2012
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight408 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $39.56Trending at AU $42.72
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.