All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis delicious new book reveals the fascinating science behind some of our favorite candies. If you've ever wondered how candy corn is made or whether Baby Ruth bars really float, as in the movie Caddy shack, then this engaging collection of food for thought is guaranteed to satisfy your hunger for kwledge. As well as delving into candy facts and myths such as the so-called 'sugar high' and the long history of making sweetmeats, the authors explore the chemistry of a candy store full of famous treats, from Tootsie Rolls to Pixy Styx and from Jawbreakers to Jordan Almonds. They reveal what makes bubble gum bubbly and why a Charleston Chew is so chewy. Written in an engaging, accessible and humorous style that makes you laugh as you learn, Candy Bites doesn't shy away from the hard facts or the hard questions, about candy. It tackles the chemistry of hydrocolloids in gummy bears alongside the relationship between candy and obesity and between candy and dental cavities. The chapters open a window on the commercial and industrial chemistry of candy manufacture, making this book a regular Pez dispenser of little-kwn, yet captivating factoids.
- Author BiographyRichard Hartel is a Professor of Food Science at the University of Wisconsin. In addition to an active research program and teaching numerous undergraduate classes, he teaches an annual summer candy course co-sponsored with the candy industry. He was given the Stroud-Jordan award in 2012 from the American Association of Confectionery Technologists for his contributions to the industry. Anna Kate Hartel is a graduate of Northland College in Ashland, Wisconsin. She currently lives in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and is pursuing a career in education assessment. Her favorite candy is the Snickers bar.
- Author(s)AnnaKate Hartel,Richard W. Hartel
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication29/03/2014
- SubjectPopular Science
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCopernicus Books
- Content Notebiography
- Weight441 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $41.79Trending at AU $43.10
- AU $17.61Trending at AU $22.61
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.15
- AU $43.37Trending at AU $48.90
- AU $30.57Trending at AU $33.73
- AU $11.00Trending at AU $14.90
- AU $17.85Trending at AU $25.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.