All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAt 2,922 miles, the Congo is the eighth longest river and the deepest in the world, with a flow rate second only to the Amazon. Ex-Marine Phil Harwood embarked on an epic solo journey from the river's true source in the highlands of Zambia through war-torn Central Africa. With outside help whatsoever he faced swamps, waterfalls, man-eating crocodiles, hippos, aggressive snakes and spiders' webs the size of houses. He collapsed from malaria, and was arrested, intimidated and chased. On one stretch, kwn as 'The Abattoir' for its history of cannibalism and reputation for criminal activity, the four brothers he hired as bodyguards were asked by locals, 'Why haven't you cut his throat yet?' But he also received tremendous hospitality from proud and brave people long forgotten by the Western world, especially friendly riverside fishermen who helped wherever they could on Phil's exhilarating and terrifying five-month journey. Author's documentary film of the journey, available on his website ww.caeingthecongo.com, won several awards and went on tour in North America with the Vancouver International Mountain Film Festival.
- Author BiographyPhil Harwood has worked all around the world as a Royal Marine Commando, expedition leader, and outdoor instructor. He is qualified as a mountain leader, canoe and kayak coach, rock-climbing instructor, and wilderness emergency medical technician.
- Author(s)Phil Harwood
- PublisherSummersdale Publishers
- Date of Publication06/05/2013
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationChichester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSummersdale Publishers
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight230 g
- Width130 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.34Trending at AU $49.62
- AU $73.85Trending at AU $76.83
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.10
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $39.18
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.70
- AU $17.65Trending at AU $21.74
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $38.98
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.