All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'The lower jaw was thin - what can I call it? - shallow, like a beast's; teeth showed behind the black lips...' M. R. James is the master of the English ghost story, whose tales are inhabited t by ethereal spirits, but by terrifying, palpable forces of evil. In these four stories figures appear in paintings, demonic voices are heard, books awaken ancient horrors - and ordinary objects and situations are transformed into inescapable nightmares. This book includes Can Alberic's Scrap-Book, The Mezzotint, The Rose Garden and The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral.
- Author BiographyMontague Rhodes James was born in Kent in 1862, where his father was curate. He was educated at Eton and then at King's College, Cambridge, where he became assistant in classical archaeology at the Fitzwilliam Museum. He was elected a Fellow of King's and then lectured in Divinity, becoming Dean of the College in 1889. He was made Provost of King's in 1905 and was Vice Chancellor of the University from 1913 to 1915. In 1918 he became Provost of Eton. Although a great scholar of his day, it is now for his ghost stories that James is best remembered. The stories were published in several volumes between 1904 and 1931, including Ghost Stories of an Antiquary (1904), A Thin Ghost and Others (1919) and A Warning to the Curious (1925). His memoirs, Eton and King's, were published in 1926. He died in 1936.
- Author(s)M. R. James
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication15/02/2011
- SubjectHorror & Ghost Stories
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Weight66 g
- Width111 mm
- Height161 mm
- Spine7 mm
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $72.45
- AU $92.82Trending at AU $103.66
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.64
- AU $20.99Trending at AU $22.65
- AU $41.01Trending at AU $43.46
- AU $19.73Trending at AU $22.69
- AU $27.95Trending at AU $29.65
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.