All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhy does capital formation often fail to occur in developing countries? Capital and Collusion explores the political incentives that either foster growth or steal nations' growth prospects. Hilton Root examines the frontier between risk and uncertainty, analyzing the forces driving development in both developed and undeveloped regions. In the former, he argues, institutions reduce everyday ecomic risks to levels low eugh to make people receptive to opportunities for profit, stimulating developments in techlogy and science. Not so in developing countries. There, institutions that specialize in sharing risk are scarce. Money hides under mattresses and in teapots, creating a gap between a poor nation's savings and its investment. As a consequence, the developing world faces a growing disconnect between the value of its resources and the availability of finance. What are the remedies for eliminating this disparity? Root shows us how to close the growing wealth gap among nations by building institutions that convert uncertainty into risk. Comparing China to India, Latin America to East Asia, and contemporary to historical cases, he offers lessons that can help the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund to tackle the political incentives that are the source of poor governance in developing nations.
- Author BiographyHilton L. Root is a Freeman Fellow and Professor of Economics at Pitzer College and a Senior Fellow at Claremont Graduate University and the Milken Institute. He is the author of six books, including The Key to the East Asian Miracle: Making Shared Growth Credible (with J. Edgardo Campos) and The Fountain of Privilege: Political Foundations of Markets in Old Regime France and England.
- Author(s)Hilton L. Root
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication09/06/2016
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2005
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight514 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.74Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.