All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.37Trending at AU $49.47
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.60
- AU $22.10Trending at AU $23.03
- AU $35.49Trending at AU $39.06
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.58Trending at AU $23.07
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.86
About this product
- DescriptionMichael Howard's ancestry, part Quaker, part German Jew, made him unpromising material for a commission in the Brigade of Guards. The three years he spent with his regiment were equally inappropriate perparation for the university chairs that he went on to hold at London, Oxford and Yale. In this autobiography he describes how these varied strands in his life came together. First there was a childhood in a world of privilege almost as remote from today as is that of the Roman Antonines. Then there came war service in Italy, a mixture of terror, tedium and Lucullan enjoyment. Finally, he was to persue an academic career in which he would pioneer the study both of war as an aspect of 'total history' and of international relations in the nuclear age. In addition to holding the Regius Chair of Modern History at Oxford he was to play a leading role in founding both the International Institute for Strategic Studies and the world-famous Department of War Studies at King's College London. His works (some translated into sizxteen languages) have him the Duff Cooper Prize,the Wolfson History Prize and the Chesney Gold Medal of the Royal United Services Institute.He ended up as a Fellow of the British Academy, a Companion of Hour and a member of the Order of Merit. So the discordant elements in his background and experience eventually harmonized very well. Professor Sir Michael Howard was Regius Professor of Modern History at Oxford and Robert A. Lovett Professor of Military and Naval History at Yale University. Amongst his most celebrated books are The Franco-Prussian War, War in European History and The Invention of Peace.
- Author BiographyProfessor Sir Michael Howard OM MC was Regius Professor of History at Oxford and Professor of History at Yale University. Among his most celebrated books are The Oxford History of the 20th Century (1998) and Strategic Deception in WW2 (1990)
- Author(s)Michael Howard
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication15/06/2006
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight504 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.