All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $73.98
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.37
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.79
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.13
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.04
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.80
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.02
About this product
- DescriptionProstaglandins, Leukotrienes, and Cancer is a multi-volume series which focuses on an emerging area of cancer research. In 1968, R. H. Williams first reported that elevated prostaglandin levels are present in human medullary carcima. Since that time, the concept that arachidonic acid metabolites may be involved in cancer has expanded to include every aspect of the disease from cell transformation through metastasis. Prostaglandins and leukotrienes are generic terms used to describe a family ofbioactive lipids produced from unsaturated fatty acids (principally from arachidonic acid) via the cyclooxygenase and lipoxygenase pathways, respectively. Cyclooxygenase products consist of diverse products such as prostaglandin E2 (PGE2), prostacyclin (PGI2) and thromboxane A2 (TXA2), whereas lipoxygenase products consist ofhydroperoxy fatty acids and mo-, di-and tri-hydroxy acids including leukotrienes, lipoxins, and epoxides. The precursor fatty acids for the cyclooxygenase and lipoxygenase pathways are present in cellular phospholipids. This finding established an important control point in their biosynthesis --the release of substrate. This occurs in response to numerous stimuli that act at the cell surface. Dr. Bengt Samuelsson's extensive study ofthe metabolism of prostaglandins indicate that they are rapidly inactivated on a single pass through pulmonary circulation. Thus, they cant act as circulating hormones and appear to be made on demand in the vicinity oftarget tissues leading to the concept that prostaglandins are local rrormones or autocoids. Altered production, qualitative and/or quantitative, of prostaglandins and leukotrienes has been implicated in the development of a number of disease states (e. g.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication27/09/2011
- Series TitleProstaglandins, Leukotrienes, and Cancer
- Series Part/Volume Number6
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight783 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Edited byS. Abraham
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1989
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.