Cardiac Champs: How to Live a Healthy, Vigorous, Happy Life After a Heart Attack by Dr Larry McConnell (Paperback / softback, 2014)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $37.95+ AU $29.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $14.95+ AU $29.00 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.74Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionCardiac Champs is a self-help book that teaches people with heart disease, particularly heart attack survivors, how to live a healthy, vigorous, happy life while effectively managing the emotional turmoil that so often accompanies heart disease. This second edition of the award winning Finalist in the 2010 USA Book News Awards includes significant enhancement of the chapters on nutrition and exercise along with further suggestions to help you effectively navigate the medical system. Dr. McConnell's doctoral degree in counselling psychology from McGill University and his personal history with heart disease give him a unique perspective into the psychosocial effects of living with heart disease; a perspective he says is ticeably absent in treating the disease. He thinks the huge emphasis placed on such things as smoking cessation, cholesterol levels and prescription drugs is often at the expense of important psychosocial issues. He claims the real struggle comes with fighting anxiety and anger, trying to alter unhealthy eating patterns, coping with lifestyle disruptions, and for many, insomnia: all of which are discussed in depth in Cardiac Champs. Dr. McConnell wisely uses humour and optimism to avoid any cathartic outpouring as he maps out his program to conquer anger, chronic worry, panic attacks, poor eating habits and the perpetual fear of death. Even his treatment of traditional heart health issues such as diet and exercise is rather vel as he emphasizes choice and variety over authoritarian medical prescriptions. His unique perspective certainly comes through loud and clear when he discusses his approach to physicians, 'They are consultants t managers;' to alcohol, 'Enjoy your beer;' and to anger, 'Don't get angry, don't get mad, and don't get even.' Cardiac Champs is a must read for anyone interested in adopting a realistic plan to control the 'emotional luggage' so often associated with the various forms of heart disease. REVIEWS He begins the book by addressing the heart attack survivor's loved ones, as if they've just arrived mid-crisis at the hospital. He simply and effectively walks them through what to expect in the emergency room, then in the intensive care unit Vancouver Sun & Ottawa Citizen His book gives practical advice and exercises about how to deal with anxiety. That includes a two week chart that reinforces the idea that these (i.e.anxiety symptoms) are things that aren't that dangerous. St. Catherines Standard & Simcoe Reformer Unlike most books on heart attack recovery, Cardiac Champs is packed with practical guidance for dealing with the psychological trauma most heart attack survivors experience. The Valley Breeze By 1986, the year after his second heart attack, McConnell had used his background as a psychologist to reinvent himself from a cardiac survivor to a cardiac champ. The Observer & Sault Star (a) book full of great advice for cardiac survivors.......given the rate of heart disease in Canada, it's a book that should be in wide circulation The Calgary Herald & Windsor Star This focus on the mental and emotional aspects of recovery is unique. Indeed, the entire book is marked by invation. It is even evident in the chapters concerned with traditional heart health issues such as diet and exercise. usabooknews.com An emotional take on heart disease.......retired psychologist says physical factors are vitally important, but don't overlook the mental issues. Delta Optimist Dr. Larry McConnell's style is excellently suited towards motivational studies, and will teach students the material clearly without overcomplicating the subject. BookRenter.com McConnell, who outlines 'systematic' steps to serenity in his book, .. .. includes The Anger Barometer, an anger questionnaire designed to help people recognize the emotion so hurtful to themselves and others. Halifax Chronicle H
- Author BiographyDr. Larry McConnell is a retired psychologist who received his doctoral degree in counselling psychology from McGill University. He worked in the health and social services fields for over twenty-five years, first as a health psychologist and later as the CEO for two large not-for-profit organizations in Ontario and Alberta, Canada. He belonged to a number of professional organizations across Canada and was listed in Ontario's Who's Who (1996). During his long career, he has made frequent guest appearances on TV and radio as a psychologist, administrator and author. He is a dynamic public speaker who easily captures the attention of audiences with his edgy humour and captivating material. Dr. McConnell's award winning book, CARDIAC CHAMPS: A Survivor's Guide is a self-help book that teaches people with heart disease, particularly heart attack survivors, how to live a healthy, vigorous, happy life while effectively managing the emotional turmoil that so often accompanies heart disease. The author survived two heart attacks and cardiac arrest thirty years ago. His latest book, A PRIMER FOR OLD GUYS: Eat Smart, Exercise, Be Happy, is a practical guide that sets out a comprehensive strategy for getting the most out of your senior years. He offers a lifestyle option that is flexible, fun and bound to maximize your lifespan. Dr. McConnell has written extensively over the years on such varied topics as healthy lifestyles, stress, counselling, child welfare, and cardiac care. In addition to his books, his writings have appeared in numerous professional journals and periodicals including the Journal of Marriage and Family Counselling, The Canadian Counsellor and The Family Coordinator.
- Author(s)Dr Larry McConnell
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication22/06/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPopular Psychology
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight272 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.