All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHealthcare providers in the American medical system may find that patients from different cultures bring unfamiliar expectations, anxieties, and needs into the examination room. To provide optimal care for all patients, it is important to see differences from the patient's perspective and to work with patients from a range of demographics. Caring for Patients from Different Cultures has been a vital resource for nurses and physicians for more than twenty years, offering hundreds of case studies that illustrate crosscultural conflicts or misunderstandings as well as examples of culturally competent health care. Now in its fifth edition, Caring for Patients from Different Cultures covers a wide range of topics, including birth, end of life, communication, traditional medicine, mental health, pain, religion, and multicultural staff challenges. This edition includes more than sixty new cases with an expanded appendix, introduces a new chapter on improving adherence, and updates the concluding chapter with examples of changes various hospitals have made to accommodate cultural differences. Grounded in concepts from the fields of cultural diversity and medical anthropology, Caring for Patients from Different Cultures provides healthcare workers with a frame of reference for understanding cultural differences and sound alternatives for providing the best possible care to multicultural communities.
- Author BiographyGeri-Ann Galanti is a medical anthropologist and Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at the David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles, where she teaches in the Doctoring program. She was formerly on the faculty of the School of Nursing at California State University, Dominguez Hills, and the Department of Anthropology at California State University, Los Angeles.
- Author(s)Geri-Ann Galanti
- PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania Press
- Date of Publication21/11/2014
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationPennsylvania
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Pennsylvania Press
- Weight599 g
- Width3887 mm
- Height5817 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edition Statement5th Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.74Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.