All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionItalian playwright Carlo Gozzi (1720-1806) is best kwn for his plays that have famously been adapted into opera librettos. Puccini's final opera, <em>Turandot</em>, was based on a play by Gozzi. Prokofiev's <em>The Love of Three Oranges</em> is also based on a Gozzi play. Richard Wagner's first opera, <em>Die Feen</em> , is based on Gozzi's <em>La Donna Serpente</em> . Mozart's <em>The Magic Flute</em> contains many elements that are similar to Gozzi's plays. Gozzi was the most successful playwright in 18th century Venice.<br><br>This is the first full biography in English of this major figure in the history of world theatre. He is well kwn for reviving commedia dell'arte, an ancient form of Italian improvisational theatre that had fallen out of favour before Gozzi's time: In this way his plays soon became the most popular in Venice and other parts of Italy.
- Author Biography<strong>John Louis DiGaetani</strong>, an English professor at Hofstra University in Long Island, New York, teaches modern Anglo-Irish drama both on campus and at Hofstra's London Program, which he directs. He is the author of numerous books about opera and theatre.
- Author(s)John Louis DiGaetani
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication30/03/2014
- SubjectBiography: Literary
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content Note, black & white illustrations, frontispiece
- Weight318 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $72.68
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $98.73
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.33
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.03
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $48.46
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.03
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.