All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
About this product
- DescriptionBrian De Palma's adaptation of Stephen King's debut vel, Carrie (1976), is one of the defining films of 1970s New Hollywood style and a horror classic. The story of a teenage social outcast who discovers she possesses latent psychic powers that allow her to deliver retribution to her peers, teachers, and abusive mother, Carrie was an ermous commercial and critical success and is still one of the finest screen adaptations of a King vel. This contribution to the Devil's Advocates series t only breaks the film down into its formal componenets--its themes, stylistic tropes, technical approaches, uses of color and sound, dialogue, and visual symbolism--but also considers a multitude of other factors contributing to the work's classic status. The act of adapting King's vel for the big screen, the origins of the vel itself, the place of Carrie in De Palma's oeuvre, the subsequent versions and sequel, and the social, political, and cultural climate of the era (including the influence of second wave feminism, loosening sexual rms, and changing representations of adolescence), as well as the explosion of interest in and the evolution of the horror genre during the decade, are all shown to have played an important part in the film's success and enduring reputation.
- Author BiographyNeil Mitchell is a writer and editor, most recently of World Film Locations: Melbourne. With Emma Bell, he is the coeditor of Directory of World Cinema: Britain.
- Author(s)Neil Mitchell
- PublisherAuteur Publishing
- Date of Publication26/09/2013
- SubjectThe Arts: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLeighton Buzzard
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAuteur Publishing
- Content Note20 black & white illustrations
- Weight1000 g
- Width140 mm
- Height191 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.