In 1794, the town of Port William was established at the confluence of the Kentucky and Ohio Rivers just two years after that portion of Virginia kwn as Kentucky County officially became the Commonwealth of Kentucky. In 1838, officials carved Carroll County out of portions of Gallatin and Trimble Counties and renamed the town Carrollton in hor of Charles Carroll, the last surviving man to have signed the Declaration of Independence. Over the years, Carrollton became well kwn for solid wood furniture and bourbon whiskey, and in the 1900s it became one of the top marketplaces for burley tobacco. For decades, Carrollton and Ghent, a city to the east, were common stops for steamboats and river barge traffic. Though still mostly agricultural, the county, halfway between Cincinnati and Louisville, is home to several steel and chemical plants, as well as General Butler State Resort Park.