All listings for this product
About this product
- Description<b> A sheer testament to the power of the written word. (<i>The New York Times</i>) </b> Giacomo Casava's energy was dazzling. He made and lost fortunes, founded state lotteries, and wrote forty-two books and 3,600 pages of memoirs recording the tastes and smells of the years before the French Revolution-as well as his affairs and sexual encounters with dozens of women and a handful of men. Historian Ian Kelly draws on previously unpublished documents from the Venetian Inquisition, and documents by Casava and his friends and lovers, which give new insights into his life and world. Kelly's research spans eighteenth-century Venice, Paris, St. Petersburg, Moscow, Rome, Prague, and the Czech castle where Casava lived, wrote, and died. From his devotion to kabbalah to his collaboration with Mozart and librettist Da Ponte on the opera <i>Don Giovanni</i>, from his vast appetite for food and sex to his training for the priesthood, Casava reveled in the commedia dell'arte. And, as Kelly posits, it is from Casava's careful study of its artifice and illusion that his success as both a libertine and a libertarian was founded.
- Author BiographyIan Kelly s books <i>Cooking for Kings: The Life of Antonin Careme, the First Celebrity Chef</i> and <i>Beau Brummell: The Ultimate Man of Style</i> were published to wide acclaim in both the United Kingdom and the United States. A writer, an actor, and the director of television documentaries, he writes frequently about food and travel for many British publications, among them <i>The Times</i> and <i>The Guardian</i>. He lives in London with his wife and their two children.
- Author(s)Ian Kelly
- Date of Publication20/01/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, colour illustrations
- Weight395 g
- Width142 mm
- Height209 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.93
- AU $23.60Trending at AU $29.65
- AU $32.93Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.93
- AU $30.86Trending at AU $32.07
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.73
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $22.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.