Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionBrown and O'Rourke have compiled a collection of ten qualitative studies analyzing the narratives that surround the physical and ritualistic activities of sport. Among the topics examined to explore the storied relationship of sport and communication are baseball, the WNBA, and soccer hooliganism. Americans love sports. We play sports, watch sports, read about sports, listen to and talk about sports. Brown and O'Rourke provide an introduction to the study of the narratives that surround the physical and ritualistic activities of sport. Ten critical analyses explore a range of sports as diverse as baseball, whitewater rafting, and full-contact fighting. Among the topics examined are the differences in the broadcasts of NBA and WNBA games and the cultural roots of hooliganism in British soccer. This is the only book of its kind to offer a compilation of qualitative research in the area of sport and communication. Faculty will find this to be an invaluable resource for beginning (or continuing) their research in this area and students will understand communication concepts explained in a new way through the popular lens of sport.
- Author BiographyROBERT S. BROWN is Director of the Sport Communication Program and Assistant Professor of Communication at Ashland University. DANIEL J. O'ROURKE is Assistant Professor Public Communiction at Ashland University.
- Date of Publication30/12/2003
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight493 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byJr.,Robert S. Brown
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.