Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $34.26Trending at AU $43.83
- AU $65.99Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.39
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $83.65
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $29.65
- AU $13.32Trending at AU $15.85
- AU $17.70Trending at AU $19.68
About this product
- DescriptionIn the spring of 1864 Laura Conr sets out alone from her home in Indiana driving a wagon and team of horses. She has determined to rescue her husband, Thomas, a captured Union soldier, from the Confederate prison at Cahawba in Alabama. With each step of her journey she descends further into the heart of the war's darkness: scourged landscapes, a Confederate surgeon faced with the aftermath of a battle, bereaved mothers of wounded and killed soldiers, runaway slaves, and somewhere in the swamps in a lost and dying country, the prison. She has idea how she will be received there or even if Thomas is still alive. At the prison Thomas fights against despair, hunger, disease and the prison commandant, ultimately deciding that escape is his only alternative. Inspired by a true occurrence, Casualties is a story of the power of love, and of the strength and heroism of ordinary people confronting overwhelming events. Lee Smith, New York Times best selling author says, I was completely gripped by Casualties, as vivid and accurate a vel of the Civil War as has ever been written. It is similar to Cold Mountain in that it involves a journey, and it also possesses the unusual feature of being both a man's book and a woman's book at once. It's a brilliant vel, tightly and carefully constructed though it covers literally the breadth and length of the War. I especially admire the eloquent yet unsentimental prose style which perfectly captures the gravity and intensity of this extraordinary time.
- Author BiographyDavid is a writer, photographer and student of the Civil War. He is working on a sequel to Casualties.
- Author(s)Contributor David Rothstein
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication21/11/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight503 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.