Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionDuring the First World War, belligerents infringed on the rights and duties of neutrals, as these had been codified in international agreements. Both the Allies and the Central Powers pressured the neutrals to modify their policies to favour them over their adversaries. During the four-and-a-half years the war lasted, this pressure mounted until the neutrals were left with very little room to maeuvre. More than fifty years ago, Nils rvik stated that this disregard for international law, combined with the relative weakness of the European neutrals, spelled the end of traditional political neutrality. Caught in the Middle discusses this thesis based on new research from Scandinavia, the Netherlands, Spain and the USA. The result is the first comparative study in English on First World War neutrality. The contributors cover t only several countries involved, but also multiple aspects of the concept of neutrality: political, ecomic, cultural and legal. They reassess the tion of neutrality and the role of neutrals during the First World War, making this collection of great value to all scholars of both neutrality, the history of individual neutral countries, and of the war itself.
- Author BiographyJohan den Hertog is a postdoctoral researcher at Leiden University.|Samu l Kruizinga is a doctoral student at the University of Amsterdam and a research fellow at the National Maritime Museum, Amsterdam.
- Author(s)Johan den Hertog,Samuel Kruizinga
- PublisherAmsterdam University Press
- Date of Publication04/03/2011
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleNIOD Studies on War, Holocaust, and Genocide
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 3
- Place of PublicationAmsterdam
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- ImprintAksant Academic Publishers
- Content NoteIllustrated
- Weight354 g
- Width170 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.