All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.67
- AU $3.73Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.43
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $80.38
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $17.07Trending at AU $23.51
About this product
- DescriptionWhat is the nature of causation? How is causation linked with explanation? And can there be an adequate theory of explanation? These questions and many others are addressed in this unified and rigorous examination of the philosophical problems surrounding causation, laws and explanation. Part 1 of this book explores Hume's views on causation, theories of singular causation, and counterfactual and mechanistic approaches. Part 2 considers the regularity view of laws and laws as relations among universals, as well as recent alternative approaches to laws. Part 3 examines the issues arising from deductive-mological explanation, statistical explanation, the explanation of laws and the metaphysics of explanation. Accessible to readers of all levels, this book provides an excellent introduction to one of the most enduring problems of philosophy.
- Author BiographyStathis Psillos is Associate Professor of Philosophy in the Department of Philosophy and History of Science at the University of Athens.
- PrizesWinner of BSPS President's Prize for a Textbook in the Philosophy of Science 2003.
- Author(s)Stathis Psillos
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication30/11/2002
- Series TitleCentral Problems of Philosophy
- Place of PublicationDurham
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAcumen Publishing Ltd
- Weight380 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine26 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.