All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNicky Marlow needs a job. He's engaged to be married and the employment market in Britain in 1937 is pretty slim. So when his fiancee points out the position with an English armaments manufacturer in Italy, he jumps at the chance. Soon after he arrives, however, he learns the sinister truth about his predecessor's departure and finds himself courted by two agents with dangerously different agendas. In the process, Marlow realizes that it's t so simple just to do the job he's paid for - t in fascist Italy, on the eve of a world war.
- Author BiographyEric Ambler (1909-98) was one of the most fascinating British writers of the late 1930s. His novels retain a remarkable sense of the dread and terror that filled Europe as world war broke out. Some were made into films (not least Orson Welles' superb version of Journey into Fear), all were bestsellers, inventing a new, more realistic form of spy novel, where the main protagonist is not so much a hero as a victim, pursued by malevolent Fascist forces of overwhelming power.
- Author(s)Eric Ambler
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication28/05/2009
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Content NoteNo illustrations
- Weight213 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Introduction byJames Fenton,Mark Mazower,Norman Stone,Thomas Jones,John Preston
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $74.53
- AU $50.00Trending at AU $70.59
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $77.38
- AU $61.13Trending at AU $61.79
- AU $65.85Trending at AU $79.23
- AU $17.89Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $16.85
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.